Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Teacher
Experience:  I am a good researcher
19568076
Type Your Question Here...

I rented an apartment in a private home in October. The home

I rented an apartment in a private home in October. The home has a pool, which was one of the primary reasons we rented the place. On the day of the lease signing the owner stated that we would probably be able to use the pool, even though the lease says no pool use. Now it is summer and we want to use the pool, the owner states that her insurance company has advised her against it. I would like to know if there is any language or any agreements out there that would allow us to use the pool and not hold her responsible if anything happens in the pool.
Category: General
Expert:  Teacher Editor replied 6 years ago.
You can get a general waiver online and add it as an addendum. However, the issue here is that you can never sign away negligence, which is what the insurance company is worried about. Nevertheless, if you are not allowed to use the pool, you may be able to negotiate a lower rental term with the owner as you are not getting the full benefits of your lease. You would have a good chance with this in court since it is not in your rental contract that you're not allowed to use the pool now.