Chris Miller
Chris Miller, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Master's degree in social work, computer knowledge, strong math and science background
Type Your Question Here...

What is the time period that the USA Marines actually served

What is the time period that the USA Marines actually served in Vietnam ie from 1960-61
to ? or was the beginning of marine corp active involvement after 1961 when President Kennedy authorized 100 advisors to the South Vietnam army?
Category: General
Expert:  Chris Miller replied 4 years ago.

March 8, 1965 -- The first US. combat troops arrived in Vietnam, as 3500 Marines landed at China Beach to defend the American air base at Da Nang. They joined 23,000 American military advisers already in Vietnam.

April 30, 1975 -- The last Marines of the force guarding the U.S. embassy depart Vietnam.

Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My question was when the earliest involvment of the marines including advisers. If you say there were 23000 advisors already in vietnam by 1965 what year did the first of these advisors actually arrive in Vietnam please? Thank you.

May 1961 -- President Kennedy sends 400 American Green Beret 'Special Advisors' to South Vietnam to train South Vietnamese soldiers. This was the first deployment of a significant number of advisors to Vietnam, even though under Eisenhower there were some U.S. military advisors in Vietnam; two of whom were killed in 1959, the first American casualities in the conflict.

February 1962 -- The esablishment of the the United States Military Assistance Command, Vietnam under Army General Paul D. Harkins. By the end of the year, more than 12,000 U.S. military personnel (technicians, advisors, pilots, and supply and administrative personnel) were in Vietnam. Among this number were 18 Marine advisors to the South Vietnamese Marine Corps and a Marine helicopter task group, code named SHUFLY, consisting of a helicopter squadron and support element.

And a note of clarification to the first post, The Marine presence in Vietnam was withdrawn in 1971, but returned briefly in 1975 to evacuate Saigon and attempt to rescue the crew of the Mayaguez (a U.S. merchant ship seized by the Communist regime controlling Cambodia).

Reference:

http://www.historyplace.com/unitedstates/vietnam/index-1961.html

Hope this helps!

Edited by XXXXX XXXXX on 5/27/2010 at 5:58 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
TO CLARIFHY QUESTION I NEED TO KNOW WERE THERE ANY ACTIVE MARINE CORP IN VIETNAM IN 1960 WHERE OFFICIALLY OR UNOFFICALLY

I did find one reference that states that as early as 1954 there was a Marine presence in Vietnam, and that for the following eight years Marines served in some advisory capacity there. This would indicate that there were some Marines in Vietnam in 1960. You can click here to view this article.

Hope this helps!

Chris Miller, Internet Researcher
Experience: Master's degree in social work, computer knowledge, strong math and science background