Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

I am trying to trace my Native American ancestry so I can become

I am trying to trace my Native American ancestry so I can become enrolled officially. All my life people have been assuming or asking me if I am a Native American and even my father said we are but how do I prove it? Without a piece of paper stating the fact, you could be full blood and it won't even matter. Can you help? Bruce Hunter,[email protected]
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hello Bruce, and thanks for your question.

The only ways to successfully trace your genuine ancestry is with help from a reputable site or organization (perhaps or, and asking relatives about your background/family tree. If your father said you are Native American, ask him for more details, and speak to other relatives, too. Write down all the information you find out and try to get first and last names (maiden names of mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, etc.), dates of birth and places of birth of relatives on both your parents' sides, if possible. Also ask your father the name of the Tribe you belong to, and this should help you locate more information, if you go directly to the people in charge of family records for your Tribe.

There are private geneaologists also, who can be hired to trace your family tree for you, if you supply enough (and accurate) information, and they do charge a fee.

I don't think the online sites that are free, will be of much help or go into any depth.

I think you'll find this information helpful:

I wish you the best of luck, and hope you are able to find out about your family history!

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback. If you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,

Edited by Cher on 5/26/2010 at 1:47 AM EST