Jennifer SR
Jennifer SR, Consultant
Experience:  Professional Geologist, Exp. Manager, Great Research Skills
10868375
Type Your Question Here...

Hello. Question How many yards can a white shark sense a prey

Hello. Question=How many yards can a white shark sense a prey or activity from the thousands of radar type holes on his head?
Category: General
Expert:  Jennifer SR replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer sharks can sense their prey using specialized organs. The lateral line is the term for sensory receptors that run along their sides that can sense vibrations or pulses in the water. In addition, there are electroreceptors on the shark's snout that can sense the faint electrical field that organisms in salt water can produce. Sound is actually the first sense that sharks rely on to detect their prey. One source stated that they can possible detect their prey using sound at a distance of 820 feet. Sharks can see fairly well and their vision may be affective up to 50 feet. I hope this answered your question! Thank you, JenniferSR
Jennifer SR, Consultant
Experience: Professional Geologist, Exp. Manager, Great Research Skills
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The Great White as many other types of sharks can sense movement or struggle up to a maximum of 150 yds. Their recepticles are exremely sensative. I have dived for many years with the Taylors who have documented the lives and behaviors of the sharks of the world. It is wth their documentation and experience that I have come to this knowledge. They are in a world class with the Cousteau's. I am very fortunate that I have had the opportunity to have met both families and fullfilled a dream, now that I look back. I am now 61 years old. I also wrote an article about shark diving in a place called Long Island 100 miles south of Freeport in the Bahamas. It was very nice for me to have it end up on the front page of the Freeport Times. One of the subjects was the range certain sharks have because of their receptors on their snouts. Only one correction can be made and that is the fact that all sharks can not see for the first three feet of their vision so in fact they do not have good vision, they depend on their electrical impulses for th last three feet of their vision.