Norman M.
Norman M., Researcher, Lecturer and Psychotherapist
Experience:  ADHP(NC), ECP and UKCP Registered.
Type Your Question Here...

My mum is 63 years old and she is currently the guardian of

My mum is 63 years old and she is currently the guardian of her 3 year old granddaughter due to social services removing her from her mothers house because she is a drug addict and not capable of looking after her. This has been the situation for the last 12 months and this situation doesnt look like its going to change. My mum is considering adpting her. Given her age do you think this would be a wise decision?
I don't see why not. depending on her resources and state of health, and in the worst case, the availability of a family member to take over should she become ill or worse. Also upon the amount of family assistance she might receive by way of support.

If the adoption authorities approve, why not?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Would you advise wether or not the grandaughters mother and father, both of whom are drug addicts , should they carry on seeing their daughter. It seems when they do the grandaughter does tend to go backwards. e.g. she will wet herself and starts to ignore my mum.

I would suggest not. If the child is experiencing symptoms such as you describe, and she does not get upset by not seeing her parents, visits should be cut back until she is comfortable with them.