Tyler
Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Experience:  B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.
21042015
Type Your Question Here...

Im having a problem with one of my roommates. Were renting

I'm having a problem with one of my roommates. We're renting my grandparent's house and each of us has a separate contract with them. In his contract he is responsible for yardwork, gardening, and his own personal needs (laundry,etc) and we share chores (dishes, cooking). He has been shirking his responsibilities, especially the yardwork and gardening. He's been leaving for days at a time and comes in at odd hours. I have just had a major surgical procedure, and can't do all of the work myself. Is there anything I can do? Should I talk to my grandparents about this?
Hi, thanks for your question.

If you've already spoken to him yourself then your next step should be having your grandparents talk to him if his responsibilities aren't being met. Keep in mind, however, that you can't expect your roommate to stick around for a certain amount of time--by that I mean, he is not forbidden to go away for awhile. He isn't (hopefully) living in a prison.

I would hope he would be compassionate about your surgery and try to help out with things--that said, he is only required to do what his contract says. Since you've already talked to him it is probably best that your grandparents talk to him know and let him know how his behavior is affecting you and others to see if that can bring about some change. If not, it might be time to find a new roommate when his contract ends. Most people are afraid of direct confrontation and seek to avoid it, so if they pulled him aside and let their feelings be known it might truly bring him about.

Please let me know if I can help you further by pressing REPLY. If this answer is what you were looking for and has been helpful to you, please click ACCEPT. Leaving me positive feedback at the end of our communication is really beneficial to me. If you have any reason to leave less than positive feedback, please reply to me so I can help you until you are satisfied. Thanks again for coming to Just Answer and have a great day!