Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

how do i remove red biro from paper

how do i remove red biro from paper

If this is regular 'writing' paper, you can try rubbing alcohol, but if it is wallpaper, you might try spraying it with hairspray and then wiping it with a slightly damp cloth/paper towel. It's always best to try to remove an ink stain as soon as possible. You can see more tips for getting out ink stains, here:
http://www.ehow.co.uk/way_5605539_stain-removal-biro-ink.html

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

I hope you are successful!

Best wishes,
Cher
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is actually on an envelope dating from 1826. The biro was written on it in the 1960s, well settled. With or without the red ink the envelope is worth a difference of $1000 or so. Are you sure alcohol will work and not make it worse?
Hello again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

No, I'm not sure the alcohol will work on such an old paper envelope with the ink so well set, so I can't safely recommend it. I'm afraid any attempts to remove the ink might degrade the paper of the envelope, since it is delicate to begin with, as paper becomes more brittle with age.

I don't think it's possible for this ink to be removed without sacrificing the integrity of the envelope itself, with any 'homemade' suggestions; however, you might consult a professional at a printing supply house in your area, as they have experience with removing ink. Look in your local phone book under business listings for 'printing supplies'.

Cher