Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

when I was in grade school I was taught about crop rotation .

when I was in grade school I was taught about "crop rotation". I live in central NJ and see the same corn fields year after year. How are Jersey corn crops so successful and sweet growing in the same soil over and over?

Shouldn't this question be directed to a farmer or agriculturist? Why an MD?
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 6 years ago.
Hello, welcome to Just Answer.

I have someone in the family that have a big milk farm, so he grow a lot of corn. The way they do it is that they are industrial farm, not biological ones. There is essentially 3 components corn need because they can deplete the soil of it:

For one bushel of grain, you need 1.25 lbs. of elemental nitrogen (N), 0.6 lbs. of phosphate (P2O5) and 1.4 lbs. of potash (K2O). All this can be less if the soil is already rich.

If they don't use chemical fertilizer, they might use animal manure, but would would smell it if this is what they do, it's also not used for very big fields.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So what you're saying is that these local farmers apply chemicals to the soil every spring? I'm not talking about grain I'm talking about edible ears of corn.
Expert:  Martin replied 6 years ago.
Yes, it's the same process for edible corn. Chemical or manure (it's still possible to not smell it if they have equipment that insert it directly in the soil as this is becoming more and more the law).

One rotation that is often made is to rotate the field with alfalfa (or other member of the fabaceae) as they fix the nitrogen in the soil. But as you see corn year after year, they do not use this techniques.