Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
14666028
Type Your Question Here...

My neighbors chickens are destroying my flower beds

Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 4 years ago.
Hello, welcome to Just Answer.

The best is to ask your Township/Parish/Municipality (i don't know how it's called where you live) what is the law about this and what they could do about it. Or they will force the owner to keep them or if they are wild they might send someone to solve the problem (like for wild dog or fox with rabies).

As an immediate solution, i would require a signed letter from all the neighbors attesting it's not their chickens. Then i would get them and eat them.

If you can approach them easily, they surely are owned by someone, if they seem wild (they perhaps really are) it may be tricky. I watched an episode of "dirty job" last week, they (police officers) were catching wild chicken in Miami (they say there is around 30,000 roaming there).

the only protection you can use against chicken damage is to completely enclose them (event the top) with metal mesh. A possible solution but not sure to work at all is to put a good cover of wood mulch in the flower beds. They might be more after worm than the flowers themself and the mulch may annoy them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. I am sure the chickens are not wild. There are 2 owners that blame each other chickens. One said it is the price to pay for having fresh eggs, which they sell. One of them lets them roam everywhere and they are in the road sometimes they get killed. The other has a pen but not covered in the top. I spent a lot of time and money planting my garden. I will contact the council tomorrow. Sorry I asked you I didn't realise it was not a UK help.
Expert:  Martin replied 4 years ago.
That is the best thing to do first. Bring picture with you if you can of the damage created. Also, to really be sure from where the chicken are coming, you could put an identification ring around one of their leg. If they cause noise also, you could add this as a reason to take care of them.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting