Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

Is there an English word that gathers restaurants, bars, coffee

Is there an English word that gathers restaurants, bars, coffee shops, takeaways, nightclubs and so on in one word

e.g.

"WORD" is used when addressing restaurants, bars, coffee shops and so on
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.

An English word that might encompass all establishments where food is served or sold, could be 'EATERY'.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,
Cher
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not sure this is right

I am creating and advertisement that will be aimed for restaurants, coffe shops, nightclubs, bakeries and so on. and for this I need a word that they one and all will identify themselves with.
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

I don't believe there is one word that can be used to describe/identify all the types of establishments you mention. For example, a restaurant, nightclub and bakery could not be classified in the same 'category', because they provide different services to the customer.
However, I will try to think of another word that may work for your advertisement. Can you provide a little more detail regarding your ad, and how/where it will appear? Is it for a print ad or tv, etc.?

Thanks,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hi again,

I just thought of another word that might work for you: Epicure or Epicurean. Here is the dictionary definition:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/epicurean

Some of the synonyms may serve your purpose as well.

Cher
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Cher, thank you for your reply.

The ad will be on facebook and directly aimed towards people that have chosen interests such as: restaurant owner, nightclub owner, pub owner and so on.

It might be relevant to know our slogan: The most popular places to eat and socialize
(We did not ad drink as this is replaced with socialize)

Again the ad is aimed towards owners and managers

A way to phrase the ad would be:

Easy access to every xxxxx business online!

easy access to every business that xxxx (NOT food and beverages, this is boring)

OR

A full overview of every xxxx business and local trends

or any similarities
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hi again, and you're most welcome.

Thanks for giving me a better idea of what you're looking for. I will try to think of something appropriate and get back to you as soon as possible.

Cher
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much Cher, we are almost there!

Henrik
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hi again, Henrik, and thanks for your reply and your patience.

Please allow me some time to think this out and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hi again, Henrik.

Thanks for your patience. After a lot of consideration, the only 'term' (not one word) I can think of that may fit and generate 'excitement' in this ad for your purposes, is 'hot spot'. The hot spots in town, are the ones that are usually crowded, attract a lot of people, and include restaurants, nightclubs, bars, etc. The term 'hot spot' indicates it's popular, the 'place' where everyone wants to gather to eat/socialize, and carries importance over other places.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Cher