Tyler
Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Experience:  B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.
21042015
Type Your Question Here...

My Fiancee and I are wanting to get married but I have bad

Customer Question

My Fiancee' and I are wanting to get married but I have bad credit and she has good credit, when we tie the knott will her credit stay the same or will it drop because of mine being low? Or how does this work?
Category: General
Expert:  Tyler replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thanks for your question.

Credit scores remain with the individual. There's no such thing as a "joint" credit score. Scores are based off of your social security number, which doesn't change with marriage, so neither does your credit score. The only thing that would be affected would be joint purchases--the largest of which would be a home. When buying a home, in most cases, both yours and your wife's credit scores would come into play, as it would be a joint purchase. Remember that one person can only do so much--so before you try to put a couple hundred thousand dollars of cars and a house on her score, remember that each person can only obtain a certain amount of credit, and that anything purchased using her score only would mean it would be in her name. Long story short, your individual credit scores will remain the same after marriage. Perhaps you could spend the first few years of marriage paying some things off and improving your own score for the big purchases down the road. Good luck!

Please let me know if I can help you further by pressing REPLY. If this answer is what you were looking for and has been helpful to you, please click ACCEPT. Leaving me positive feedback at the end of our communication is really beneficial to me. If you have any reason to leave less than positive feedback, please reply to me so I can help you until you are satisfied. Thanks again for coming to Just Answer and have a great day!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
tyvm for the answer and helps alot to know I won't ruin her credit Laughing
Expert:  Tyler replied 6 years ago.
My pleasure, congrats to you both!