Tyler
Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Experience:  B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.
21042015
Type Your Question Here...

I have an old Damascus Steel Parker Bros. of Meriden, Conn-;double

I have an old Damascus Steel Parker Bros. of Meriden, Conn-;double bbl side by side 12 gauge shotgun with a vent rib, and ejectors. On the bbl lug it says 1 1/2, and on the flat of the bottom of each bbl are the following: (Right bbl side: D w/superimposed c, then 3 w/superimposed 9!) (Left bbl side: Pat'd April 12, 1876!). On the flat left side of the breech surface (below the bbls) is the serial #109626 w/a 2 above the number and a G below the number. Then on the other side (right side)are the following patent dates: Jan 18 (maybe 16), 1887, Aug. 18 (maybe 16), then below these dates are the dates: May 7-Oct 8, 1889. There is wonderful engraving of two geese in flight on the left side, two quail on right side and again two quail on the bottom of breech. The checkered for-end is Patent dated March 26, 1878. This gun has great case hardening colors and the bluing in fine w/excellent bores . I'd like to know precisely which model this is and ball park price. Thanks, Mac
Hi, thanks for your question. Here's some information about your gun. According to the serial number, it was manufactured in 1902. It is a grade-2 gun (amongst the lowest end of the grading system) and sold for around $80 when new. To put that into perspective, their top of the line Grade-8 sold for $500 in 1907, and grade-9 for $1,250 in 1927. The engravings on your gun were standard. The G you mention below the serial number on the water table is the grade. If it had a GH it would denote a hammerless model--so I'm a little confused as to how this gun has ejectors, which were supposedly only offered on the hammerless guns. If this was a hammerless gun with ejectors it should actually have a "GHE" denotation instead of simply a "G". Parker guns didn't exactly have "models" they were sorted more by grades.

As far as value goes, that's subjective. I just found a Parker GHE (grade 2, hammerless with ejectors) from 1918 with damascus barrels on auction for $3,500. It is in top condition and has some additional customizations. Your best bet to get a good valuation is to go to a local gun collector with knowledge of Parkers who can see it in person and appraise it. The other option is to go to this site http://parkerguns.org/forums/ and post a question about your gun with pictures. There are several knowledgeable Parker experts on there who can give you a better idea of what it's worth, even though it's better to see someone in person, especially for what could be a high value item. Best of luck!

Please let me know if I can help you further by pressing REPLY. If this answer is what you were looking for and has been helpful to you, please click ACCEPT. Leaving me positive feedback at the end of our communication is really beneficial to me. If you have any reason to leave less than positive feedback, please reply to me so I can help you until you are satisfied. Thanks again for coming to Just Answer and have a great day!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your reply to my question. I, like you, believed the "G" represented this as a GHE. However, after reading the info in S.P Fjestad's Blue Book, I lost that assurance (as I said in my question, I didn't find that book helpful at all for Parkers) Because of his info on the lug inscription (which in my case is 1 1/2) I'm now of the idea that this is a DHE model (if model is the correct term)-probably wrong, however. For your info, this is absolutely a "hammerless" shotgun-which begs the question why just a "G" on the watertable. It DOES have ejectors and a vent rib and with nice checkering and engraving. I do see that I need to have it viewed by a very knowledgeable Parker person since there ae so many variables to consider. By the way, how did you determine this to be a grade 2 gun? Thanks, Mac
That is strange--if it were a DHE it would be slightly more valuable. Apparently the ejectors increase the value by about 50%. In my reading it mentions, however, that almost all D-grade guns had engravings that included dogs. There is a scale that determines the grade based on the letter engraved on the watertable. There's a copy of this scale on the website parkerguns.org -- click the link on the left that says "Parker grades". I do hope you can get your gun appraised in person--you might have quite a valuable gun. Also, if you plan to sell it, having a knowledgeable person appraise it will give you a realistic idea of value and an accreditation that you can add to your listing.