Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

how can i found out if Mauricio Velasquez has ever been and/or

how can i found out if Mauricio Velasquez has ever been and/or is being considered for a seat on the Colombian Supreme Court?
Hello, and thanks for your question.

After researching this important matter, I have found the 'Mauricio Velasquez' to whom you refer, as 'César Mauricio Vasquez', who was indeed, a press secretary and a Presidential advisor in 2009.

The names of the current (as of January 2010) Justices of the Colombian Supreme Court are listed here, along with an explanation of the history and workings of the Colombian judicial system:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_of_Colombia#Current_Magistrates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Colombia

Mauricio Velasquez is not named as a current Magistrate.

You can find additional information about the Colombian Supreme Court (in Spanish), here: http://www.cortesuprema.gov.co/

If you need help with translation of information at the above site, please let me know.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Edited by Cher on 4/17/2010 at 8:34 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

cher...did you get my additional question....if not...we need to know a few more things

1. is cesar mauricio velasquez an attorney?

2. do you have the dates that he was in the capacity of press secretary and/or presidential advisor

3. what if any ties and or influence does he or would he have had with the supreme

court and or being valuable in securing a treasure salvage lease...if any.

and

4. the scandal he was involved in...what effect did it have on him...

you mentioned that you were still on line..so if you could get back to me on this yet today it would be most appreciated.

thank you

e.d.

Hi again, Edmond.

I just received your additional question, now.

Please allow me some time to research this for you, and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Thanks
Cher
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

excellent....am anxiously awaiting your findings !!

Hi again, Edmond, and thank you for your patience.

No, he is not an attorney; Velásquez is a renowned journalist who came to work at the Presidential Palace directly from the Academy; he had been serving as dean of the Faculty of Social Communication and Journalism at the University of La Sabana. He was also the president of the Journalists' Circle of Bogota (CPB) and member of the National Conciliation Commission.

He became press secretary in February 2007 and I'm still researching if/when he vacated that post.

and

This, I will need more time to research, if the information is available.

From the information I have found, it was recommended that the charges against him be dropped regarding the wiretapping scandal, as testimony from others revealed he was not involved in any illegal manner. The one episode of which the public was made aware, involved both Velasquez and another man (Del Castillo) meeting with the delegates of Don Berna and brining sensitive information about an alleged plot that the Supreme Court was going to use against President Uribe. Velasquez was present at that meeting only by chance, and did not stay long, which is why it was considered that he was not involved in any wrongdoing.

What effect it had on him, I have not been able to find as of yet, but I am still working on this for you. I need to sign offline at this time, but will return, soon, and continue searching for this information.

Regards,
Cher

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

cher

an excellent start on this....more exacting dates would be MOST useful...and I am confused regarding exactly who's side velasquez is really on....do your best to fill in

the blanks....it seems that this guy is tainted politically and people are probably distancing themselves from them....liiteral and objective...as well as subjective commentary will both be appreciated......

I will put some more money in the account....please carry on........

regards

e.d.

Hi again, Edmond and thanks very much for your reply, accept and most generous bonus. Also, thank you for your patience.

I have been researching this information since shortly after I last replied to you, and it seems that César Mauricio Velasquez is keeping a very low profile since the scandal, as he is not found in any online searches, except those quoting him while he was press secretary and presidential advisor to Uribe.

It's impossible to find when he actually vacated his position (if he did, and I'm assuming that he did), as no mention is made of any other press secretary in Uribe's cabinet making statements in 2010.

Colombia and many other South and Central American countries developed a reputation for having unstable governments filled with corruption, so it's not surprising that information re: Velasquez is hard to find. In my opinion, although he may have seemed 'innocent' of the charges levied against him in the wiretapping scandal, the government may have seen to it that he remained distanced from them, as you also suspected, and wanted to sweep this matter under rug, to avoid any further international embarrassment.

I will continue my research to find additional information about Velasquez and his situation, and let you know when I have any news.

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

please carry on and let me know if you " uncover " any more substance.

especially the dates as already discussed.....it seems that he was playing the

"middle" on this power struggle...but he has been in uribe's camp all along???

he was a press secretary for uribe....but got involved in "wiretapping".....or was close to it....i suppose his role will never be made totally public....he had the run of the political scene....but he got caught and his career will never be the same....thank you for your saturday afternoon effort..........thank you ...........e.d.....

Hi again, Edmond, and you're most welcome.

I completely agree with your 'take' on this situation, and no, his career will never be the same.

I will definitely carry on with my research and see if I can 'uncover' any more details; perhaps something new will come out in the press, considering the complicated political process in Colombia.

Best regards,
Cher