Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Experience:  B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.
Type Your Question Here...

what percent of food production in US is organic

what percent of food production in US is organic?
Category: General
Expert:  Tyler replied 6 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for your question!

According to the US Dept. of Agriculture, in 2008 (last year of survey) they showed 0.5% of US pasture and 0.7% of US cropland to be certified organic. Here they cite the reasons for the low numbers:

"Obstacles to adoption by farmers include high managerial costs and risks of shifting to a new way of farming, limited awareness of organic farming systems, lack of marketing and infrastructure, and inability to capture marketing economies. Still, many U.S. producers are embracing organic farming in order to lower input costs, conserve nonrenewable resources, capture high-value markets, and boost farm income."

Please let me know if I can help you further by pressing REPLY. If this answer is what you were looking for and has been helpful to you, please click ACCEPT. Leaving me positive feedback at the end of our communication is really beneficial to me. If you have any reason to leave less than positive feedback, please reply to me so I can help you until you are satisfied. Thanks again for coming to Just Answer and have a great day!