Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

was the artist p.p.ruebens painting the adoration of the magi

was the artist p.p.ruebens painting the adoration of the magi ever made into a tapestry by ruebens
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

Based on my research, The painting by Rubens, "Adoration of the Magi", was never made into a tapestry by Rubens. This is Rubens' painting from 1624:
http://www.abcgallery.com/R/rubens/rubens87.html

There is another tapestry with this same name, woven by Morris and Co., from an original design by Edward Burne-Jones, which was completed in 1890. You can see more about this, here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adoration_of_the_Magi_%28tapestry%29#cite_note-0

As you can see, it's a completely different scene, and was made 266 years after Rubens painted "Adoration of the Magi".

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have a tapestry that depicts the adoration of the magi was given to us by a church 30 years ago want to know where this came from,this apears to be pretty old

Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

Does your tapestry resemble either of the images included in my previous answer?

If it resembles the Rubens one, it's possible that it was woven, based upon that painting, but was not made by Rubens, himself. There are also many paintings/tapestries entitled 'Adoration of the Magi'. If it IS a Rubens, or even from that era, it would be very valuable. However, the only way to find out the origin and value of this tapestry, would be to have it appraised by an art dealer experienced in tapestries and/or antique tapestries.

I hope everything works out well for you!

Best wishes,
Cher