Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Experience:  B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.
Type Your Question Here...

Good afternoon, I have a Roland EP7 II. Happy with it but

Good afternoon,

I have a Roland EP7 II. Happy with it but haven't played all that much. Returning to practice and self-teaching discovered that some of the keys were stuck, also a couple without sound.

Opened it up and noticed some problems with the pink wax (?). It seemed to very slowly run and block keys that way.

Anything I can do or can it be serviced. approx cost?

Klaas Woldring,
Pearl Beach (near Gosford, Australia))
Hi, and thanks for your question.

I'm assuming the warranty has expired on this keyboard, meaning you would have to pay for service. Keep in mind that keyboard instruments normally stay in their best shape by being played often and the climate they are kept in can lengthen or shorten their lifespan. It sounds like the keys probably just need to be cleaned. You may also have to have some contacts replaced on the keys that don't sound. This shouldn't be a costly procedure. Here is a list of all the Roland service technicians in Australia:

My advice is to find one near you and take it in to show the tech exactly what you're talking about. While these guys are in the business to make money, I'm willing to bet they could take care of the "expert level" repair and possibly give you some tips on how to properly clean the keys/contacts yourself to save a few bucks. Make sure you get a quote for any service before you agree to have it done--you don't want to get into a situation where the repairs are costlier than the value of the instrument!

Please let me know if I can assist you further by pressing Reply. If my answer was helpful to you, please press ACCEPT. Thanks again for coming to and have a great day!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, It's certainly out of warranty, instrument could be about 12 years old but has played well until recently.

I had hoped that you tell me what to do with the pink wax that very slowly seems to move and block some keys. What is the purpose of this fax? Is to (semi) weight the keys? Why is it moving? The cleaning of the was away from the blocked keys is tough. Access is difficult. I have thought about warming it by using a hair dryer and letting it drip out. It seems to me you may not be an expert. If I go to Roland expert here in Sydney (or Central Coast) I am sure this is going to cost me around $300 for two or three hours work.

Why would they be prepared to guide me to do the repair myself whilst they are, presumably, the experts?
Thanks for your reply. I don't know of any wax--that doesn't quite make sense to me. Perhaps it is plastic that has melted over the years? Has the keyboard been kept in a warm environment, untouched for years? That would explain why it is so difficult to remove. A hair dryer is a bad idea--you won't get any kind of good results from this. Go to the technician first--once again, ask how much it will cost. Give a detailed explanation and perhaps bring it in and show them what you are talking about. People understand, in these difficult economic times, that individuals are trying to save money by doing things themselves. There aren't too many people who don't understand this and don't mind giving some helpful advice--that is, to CLEAN the keys, not to make repairs. They would have to do that. Unless you have technical experience and direct product knowledge, it would be ill-advised to attempt any repairs yourself. But if it's going to take them 2 hours to clean the keys at X number of dollars per hour, you might as well do that yourself. You won't know how much it will cost until you call them and find out.

Back to the "wax". Again, I think this is probably plastic. Wax has too low of a melting point to be placed in a product like this. Regardless, it served a purpose at the point of manufacture and simply removing it all and not replacing it will leave your keyboard without something it was designed to have.

As far as my expertise goes, I have degrees in music performance (organ specifically) and have been playing pianos, keyboards and organs all my life. I am not a Roland expert, nor a keyboard technician. You won't find one of those on this site as questions regarding such a topic are few and far in between. Again, if you don't have specific product knowledge and experience in this sort of thing you won't find somebody who will say it's a good idea to open the keyboard up and start doing your own repairs. Take it to a tech, find out exactly what's wrong with it, get an estimate, ask what you can do yourself then take it from there. Best of luck, please let me know if I can help further.