Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

I have Seaberry in my yard for 8 years. I have 2 male and

I have Seaberry in my yard for 8 years. I have 2 male and 2 female plants. The male plants have tripled and then some in size and I notice the orange berries in the spring after the 2nd year and have never seen them since. They see good sunshine and appear to be healthy yet there is no fruit. Any hints?
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

I'm sorry to see that no one has responded to your question earlier. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online and saw your question.

Do the female plants flower each year, but fail to produce berries, or do they not flower at all?

What is your location?

Thank you for the additional information.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have not seen flowers on the female plants. The location gets 6 hr's. of sun or more in the summer. I live out on Long Island in New York. Suffolk county to be exact.

Thanks, Marty

Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
Hi Marty,

Thank you for getting back to me. There are several common reasons why plants of any kind fail to bloom. Improper pruning is one. If you prune the seaberries, skip it for a year and see if that helps. When pruning in late winter or early spring, it’s especially easy to accidentally take off the parts that will bloom.

Winter weather is another factor. Severe winter temperatures can also kill the buds that would bloom. In late winter or early spring, a cold snap can kill newly-swollen buds and cause them to fall off. Neither scenario seems likely in your climate. Seaberry is extremely hardy.

Soil nutrients may play a big role. Too much nitrogen leads to lush growth of leaves and roots, but inhibits flowering. Lack of phosphorus can also cause failure to flower. If you’ve been using a fertilizer with nitrogen, discontinue its use, and add only phosphorus. If you haven’t fertilized at all, try fertilizing with phosphorus alone. It can take a couple of years to balance soil chemicals to permit flowering, so you won't get immediate results.

Not getting enough light is another cause of failure to bloom. It doesn’t sound like that should be a problem in your case. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I suspect that either pruning or soil chemistry is responsible for the failure to flower. I hope that one or more of the above suggestions will have your seaberries blooming within a couple of years.

Edited by Anna on 3/31/2010 at 12:03 AM EST