Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

does the united states still control the baja nuevo and serranilla

does the united states still control the baja nuevo and serranilla bank and is there any sunken treasure rumored to be
there?
Submitted: 6 years ago via WiseGeek.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.

From my research, I have not found any evidence of Colombia's involvement in the salvage operations in Bajo Nuevo or Serranilla Bank, however, the areas are technically part of Colombia. In 2007, the United States became involved re: salvage operations with a company called Marine Exploration International, Inc. and Hispaniola Ventures, LLC, out of Florida, and I cannot see any information re: them no longer being involved. You can see more information, here:
http://consusgroup.com/previews/2897648/

The United States 'administers' the Bank of Bajo Nuevo as an unorganized, unincorporated United States territory. You can read more about this area and it's history, here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bajo_Nuevo_Bank

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

can you find out if colombia currently has any treasure salvage leases with any

companies and/or what is their position on such activities...i recall there being

quite a controversy over a ship called the san jose that was in deep water and

was considered to be the richest ship wreck in the world....also....does the unesco

treaty have anything to do with this....and finally....what is the likelihood of this

baja nuevo/serranilla bank being issued a treasure salvage permit by colombia

when it is under the jursisdiction/protection of the united states....this is sort of like

an urban legend but in the carribean...please comment....thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i put another deposit on my account.....and am anxious to get your input on the

sunken treasure/colombian/status issue...lots of ambiquity in all of this and we are

doing a bit of spontaneous due diligence here...it is interesting that you hit a couple

of nails on the head in your first answer....anxiously awaiting your answer..also i did

see the positive comment...thank you and i will catch up with yours when i next hear

from you......

Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hello again,

I'm so sorry, but I need to attend to a family emergency and must sign offline at this time, so I will leave your question open for other experts to answer.

Again, I apologize.

Regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
good luck with your family emergency...we are dealing with stage 4 cancer in our household so i am most understanding of such things....look forward to working with you again....
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Thanks very much for your good wishes; I'm so sorry you are dealing with serious illness in your household, as well, and send my best thoughts and prayers to your family. I look forward to working with you again, as well....

Regards,
Cher