Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

What is the registered company name and address who is the

What is the registered company name and address who is the current user of the phone number XXX-XXX-XXXX?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.

The phone number in your question did not come through properly. Can you please resend it and not write it in phone number 'form'? For example, write it without dashes. I'll try my best to help you, once I can see the phone number.

Thanks,
Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
XXXXXXXXXX
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

I'm so sorry, the phone number is XXXXX not showing up; only 'X's' are coming through. The system is designed to do this, so no personal information can be revealed, for your protection. Try it like this: type the number with 2 spaces in between the area code (it's an 800 number?) and also the rest of the numbers. For example 1800 322 7788.

Thanks,
Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I try two approaches: 1800 401 0118

eighthundred, followed by four hundred and one, followed by four digits, zero plus one hundred and eighteen.

Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Thanks very much! The numbers came through fine! I was going to suggest spelling them out, as you did! I will research this for you and get back to you with the results.

Have you been getting calls from this number, frequently, and don't know who it is?

Thanks,
Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Background:

• - Some marketing calls are from legitimate businesses, who, when you ask them to remove your number from their list, do so in an efficient and courteous way. Other firms, who are probably up to "no good", do not take the "do not call" requests seriously.
  • - There are State, and there are Federal laws that relate to the concept of "do not call".
  • - The federal "do not call list", in reality, only applies to calls that are made/received with recorded-messages. As such, call from human beings are not "governed" through this means. However, it is still interesting to note that if one wants to report a "violation" of this law, you still need the company's name and address - how absurd is that, given the fact that an 800 # XXXXX can request that their company name and address can be blocked by the service provider, not by caller ID, but rather by reverse lookup?
  • - In the State of Michigan, there is a "do not call" violation that relates to calls place by actual humans. One would report the company to the State Attorney General, and the FCC. Unfortunately, it appears, at least in regards XXXXX XXXXX Attorney General, that one also needs the company's name and address.
  • - Companies that are operating scams, which are the ones that likely need to be reported as being in violation of the law, and are the ones that you can't stop from repeatedly calling you, are the ones that are likely not allowing their 800 service provider to reveal the name and address.

That doesn't mean that YOU can find out the name and address in some other way; that's why I asked the question!

Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks very much for your additional information.

I have found the following information relating to the phone number you have supplied:

Alisa Murray--Fine Art Photography
9024 Thompson Lake Drive
Missouri City, TX 77459

The number(NNN) NNN-NNNN is listed to 'Brian Murray' at the same address. It is listed as a land line (as opposed to a cell phone). Another local number is XXXXX listed for Brian Murray at this address:
(281)(NNN) NNN-NNNN

I realize this is a number of a company that is located in Texas and not Michigan, but it's the only thing I could find in my research.

You can file a complaint regarding this number online, so other people can see it, if they too, are receiving calls from this number: http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-800-401-0118

The 'do not call list' rules and regulations you have included, do not make sense, and as far as I knew, when registering my own phone numbers on the Federal list, the only exclusions were unsolicited calls from companies doing 'surveys'. Annoying, yes; illegal, no. The do not call list was instituted to deter/stop unsolicited telemarketing calls, but many companies have figured out legal ways to get around this.

If this number is XXXXX your home phone repeatedly, you have several options. You can 'block' the number, if you have this option and it is blockabe, through your telephone system; you can call your local phone company and register a complaint, then have them investigate it. If you are receiving these calls on your cell phone, I don't think there is much you can do, but calling your cell phone provider and reporting the call as repeated, annoying, etc., is an option.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Cher

Edited by Cher on 3/26/2010 at 8:29 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I agree, the "do not call list" regs do not make PRACTICAL sense, but even so, the facts are you cannot report a violation unless the initiating call is not from a human, and yes I agree that has been worked around. Check it out yourself: the Federal Trade Commission's registration number is XXXXX followed by 382 followed by 1222; it is for registration AND filing a complaint. If you try to report, the automation asks some y or n questions and one relates to whether the call is prerecorded or not. If it is you cannot even proceed to give them the violators information. So you can forget it if a human is there when you answer.

You can, however, report the violation to your State Attorney General, and the violator's State Attorney General - BUT you have to have the company name and address.

You can report to the FCC as well but I haven't tried that yet so I have nothing to offer on that subject.

I appreciate your effort.

So, to make this waste of time somewhat valuable, and so reporting offenders can be easy and low in cost in the future, this is my followup question is: "Where and how did you get the company name and address?"

Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

I put the phone number into Google and this is the page that came up with the name and address of the company I sent you: http://www.art-search.us/listing/26861/houston-fine-art-photography

Regards,
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist