Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Experience:  B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.
Type Your Question Here...

i am allergic to alcoholic beverages. Since I was a small

i am allergic to alcoholic beverages. Since I was a small child. My tongue swells and it is difficult to breathe. My brother in law made a chocolate cake with 2 tablespoons of port wine in it. I had one bite and had a very severe reaction to it. I thought the alcohol would have burned off while cooking. Does it burn off completely?
Category: General
Expert:  Tyler replied 6 years ago.
This is an interesting question, and I've enjoyed looking into it for you! It turns out that the amount of alcohol that dissipates while cooking depends on the method of cooking and the time something is cooked. Alcohol is most commonly used for cooking over a fire--in a sauce, for example--over high heat. If the liquid is boiling it will remove about 85% of the alcohol. On the other hand, if something is baking, like a chocolate cake, it would take THREE hours for all traces of the alcohol to evaporate. Obviously a cooking time that is a bit longer than a cake calls for. I found an interesting chart on a website that puts this into better perspective:

So the answer to your question is, no, in most cases the alcohol will not burn off completely while cooking. Since you're allergic you should probably refrain from eating any foods cooked with alcohol due to the severe reaction you had from such a small amount. Hope this helps, best wishes!

If my answer was helpful to you, please click Accept. If you need more information, please reply. Thanks!