Tyler
Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Experience:  B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.
21042015
Type Your Question Here...

How can I find out what kind of neighborhood a particular address

How can I find out what kind of neighborhood a particular address is in without visiting it?
Category: General
Expert:  Tyler replied 4 years ago.
Hi, what information exactly are you trying to find out about a particular neighborhood?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it a "family-type" neighborhood - one where you would feel safe walking around? Or is it a rundown area that has high crime, etc?
Expert:  Tyler replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your reply.

Honestly that's a hard thing to tell without visiting the neighborhood itself, for the most part. At the same time, you can find out about criminal activity in a certain area. Most medium to big city police departments post crime logs online where you can get information on what is happening where. I just googled SF Police Dept. for example, and they have a feature where you can pick any area in their city and choose from several different crimes to see what has occurred there in the recent past. So that would be a first step--check the police dept's website of the city you are interested in. If for some reason they don't offer this information online, you can contact the PD and request it. People do this for the same reasons you would. I'm assuming that you don't live close to this area right now and might not be able to do this--but should you be in the city, and happen to see a cop, you can always ask him what he thinks about an area. They'll give you an honest answer with a lot of information.

Another thing you can do is research the schools in the area you are interested in. How well do they do on standardized tests? How do they rate? What is the demographic of the school? Much of that would be available online, some you might have to call the school for. Either way, your best bet is to talk to real people to find out their opinions and answer questions or concerns you might have.

Google is your friend. Is there a park in this neighborhood or near it? Google the name of the park. You'll most likely find not only images but any news story or event that has occurred there. Use landmarks to do your research. You may find some interesting things.

If you have any family or friends close by, see if you can get one of them to check out an area in person for you before you move. If not, talk to a real estate agent. Ask them point blank questions before telling them you're interested in a particular area or property.

I hope these suggestions will be helpful to you. Please reply if you need more information, if this answer was beneficial please press Accept. I wish you the best of luck!

Experience: B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.