Lori
Lori, Research Analyst
Experience:  General Information and Online Research
260309
Type Your Question Here...

How many visitors are there to US art galleries every year

Customer Question

How many visitors are there to art galleries in the US every year and how many galleries are there?
Category: General
Expert:  TaxTom replied 6 years ago.
Hello, The only category I could find was for Museum attendance which was just under 700,000,000 for 17,744 museums. Thank You Tom Please click accept.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Tom - Thanks for the reply. I need the information for art galleries that sell art, rather than museums. Let me know if you find any information on that and where the data comes from and I'll be happy to accept.
Expert:  Lori replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Since Tom opted out, I'll take a stab at your question - there are at least 4,000 'significant' art galleries in the US as of this time - here is link to many of them by state - http://art-collecting.com/galleries.htm .

Gleaning an estimate of the number of visitors to actual 'sale' galleries is somewhat difficult as most don't keep numbers of 'walk in guests'. By itself, the National Gallery of Art has thousands of visitors a year; whereas other galleries may do many sales by visiting clients homes, rather than clients visiting the gallery itself, or even online sales. I was unable to find any "published" numbers for gallery visitors in the US per year. You may be more successful if you specify a particular city or state you are most interested in, and work through individual galleries there.

Let me know if I can help further.

Lori, Research Analyst
Experience: General Information and Online Research