Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Experience:  B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.
Type Your Question Here...

Neither my sister, 60 y.o. educated former teacher, nor my

Neither my sister, 60 y.o. educated former teacher, nor my daughter in law, 26, back at college sophomore year, know how to read a road map. I cannot find a 'how to' book, nor can any librarian recommend one that is 1. not overly technical 2. not meant for geographers. Can you find some good resources and/or actual books?
Category: General
Expert:  Tyler replied 6 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question!

I cannot find books on this particular subject, other than those meant for land map reading. Perhaps there is something I can help you with without needing a book, perhaps offer some easy tips? Maps are made fairly easy to read these days if you know what to initially look for when opening one up. Please let me know if I can assist in this way and I'd be happy to provide what information you need. Thanks!

Expert:  John Henderson replied 6 years ago.

The best place to learn to read a map is to call your local Boy Scouts and get a copy of the merit badge manual for "Orienteering" which is the official name of map reading. If you tell me your zip code, I will find someone in your neighborhood to help. Do not be embarrased or ashamed about not reading a map. Many people simply don not know how. Please let me know your zip. I really do want to help...

Edited by John Henderson on 3/15/2010 at 11:18 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, this got lost. Thanks for your suggestion and I shall quickly get myself an ORIENTEERING. I've exhausted all the librarians I run across, even the one in the Map room of the NYC 42nd Street Library, the State Education Social Studies office for all levels, book stores, and miscellaneous other people. I'm convinced there is little out there. Am much looking forward to ORIENTEERING, but am not overly sanguine. Another friend and I are even thinking of assembling material and putting out a pamphlet or a DVD for all those people who can't read maps. Can you help in finding trained teachers in map reading skills? And other good written materials? Would be extremely grateful.
Expert:  Tyler replied 6 years ago.
Welcome backCustomer

It sounds like your search has been pretty exhaustive and you have met many of the same roadblocks that I have. In looking a bit further I've found some things that you might find useful in order to produce the kinds of materials you talk about. First off, I think looking specifically for "trained teachers in map reading skills" would be as difficult as finding books on the subject. That said, some schools, states and U.S. entities have cartography departments (the science of making maps). A simple google search turns up some good results on different locales with such a department. Another good source is to look within the Geography department of your local college or university. Chances are they have a faculty member who is adept in this, or at least has an interest. As there are always junior level professors at any college looking for promotions and tenure, you might even be able to find somebody who would be willing to work closely with you and "share" the project. You would get some professional assistance and they could get another publishing credit.

Here are a couple of links worth checking out. The first is for a book that deals with the making of maps and the intricacies therein. It may contain some useful info for you. Here is the link:

Also check out this website with some basic information. Most you probably already know, but can't hurt to look at:

Finally, look to map publishers for information. Most are interested in educating people about their product. I found a number of things at under the "education" heading. Here's a pdf file of the materials they publish for education. Check page 14-15 for some good titles. These are textbooks geared towards older elementary school children, meaning items will be explained in a very approachable way and the information should be fairly in-depth as it is meant to establish a foundation of someone's understanding in that subject. Check out "Young Geographers" and "A Bird's Eye View" in particular.

Lastly, next time you are at a book store, pick up a US atlas--one of the big ones. Most of these books come with a section at the beginning explaining just how to read a road map, and some can be lengthy.

I hope this information is helpful to you in your quest! If it is, please press Accept. If you need further information please press Reply so I can continue helping you. Best of luck!

Experience: B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.