Lucy
Lucy, Mensa Member
Experience:  Expert Internet Researcher and Trivia Master
26798026
Type Your Question Here...

How do I color flame WITHOUT using a salt compound

How do I color flame WITHOUT using a salt compound? I am making an art display that involves colored flame effects activated my different musical notes. I have the whole mechanical system finished and can use any type of liquid fuel. The salt issue will cause problems with the land around the deployment, and must be avoided. Help!
Category: General
Expert:  Lucy replied 6 years ago.
Hi Catapault,

I don't know what you've tried so far, but this site lists a few flame colorants. Some of them contain salt, but some of them don't. Here is another site you could use. I hope that helps.

Edited by Lucy on 3/5/2010 at 1:54 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That's the same info I was able to find. I need approx. 4 colors that are salt-less, with Green covered that leaves Blue, Red and either a true Yellow or Orange.
Expert:  Lucy replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry - I didn't realize you were looking for specific colors. Copper chloride will give you a blue, and that's an acid. I'm not sure how you'll get yellow without salt, since it appears that salt is what makes the flame yellow.

You should be able to get red from lithium or strontium and orange from calcium. Here is a picture that I found on this site.

graphic