P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  45 years old, retired Marine Officer, current attorney
11181181
Type Your Question Here...

I recently stayed at a Hampton Inn in Kingman, AZ. The first

I recently stayed at a Hampton Inn in Kingman, AZ. The first night was confirmed using a "Hilton Honors Certificate". The second night was confirmed at a "AAA discount" rate and guaranteed with a credit card. The two nights were booked under the same confirmation number. Upon returning to the room around 1:00 a.m. on the second night, my key would not work. The Management had removed all my items from the room, and put them on a luggage cart and placed the items in the storage room. I had specifically requested a "disabled room" room because my father would be visiting me, which is stated in the notes on my confirmation. The management stated they needed that room for someone else. I called the police who stated that, unfortunately, since it was on private property, there was nothing they could do. Both the Manager and the Owner had been drinking and threw me off the property.

Do I have any legal recourse? If so, which type of attorney handles this sort of case?
Category: General
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help and sorry for this mess.

"Both the Manager and the Owner had been drinking and threw me off the property."

Are you kidding?! Seriously?

You ask: Do I have any legal recourse?

Answer: Yes. have legal recourse...if you had a contract with hilton (Hampton is part of Hilton) and they broke that contract, you can sue and for the damages you suffered. This would be an easy case to win.

Now, the question is damages...what can you get. Certainly you can get the money paid or the value of the points used...but that is less than a $100 I suspect. You can also get you consequential damages...what you had to pay as a result (for the new hotel room that night). If your missing any property you can sue for that. But that will be about the limit of what you can sue for unless you were injured in some way.

I would go to Hilton Honors....they are (in my experice) a good company and when you tell them what happened, I bet they take steps to make it right. I would draft a letter to HH as well as to Hilton CEO. and explain what happened (include a copy of the police report if there is one)

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (3) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience: 45 years old, retired Marine Officer, current attorney