Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Experience:  B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.
Type Your Question Here...

how do you decock a pistol

how do you decock a pistol?
Category: General
Expert:  Tyler replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thanks for your question!

How you de-cock a pistol depends upon what kind it is. First and foremost, make sure your gun is unloaded, there is no clip in it and there is no chambered bullet. Safety first! I am assuming this is a pistol that has an exposed hammer, rather than a semi-auto like a Glock. In most cases you can pull back on the hammer all the way and release it slowly. When a gun is "cocked" the hammer is pulled back, either by manually doing so, or by pulling back on the slide for a semi-auto gun. Simply grip the butt of the gun with your hand, keep your finger off of the trigger and use your thumb to pull the hammer back further than it is in the cocked position. It should be able to move back approximately 1/4 of an inch or so further. After you have the hammer to this point, it will be free to move back to its normal un-cocked position. Keep your thumb on it and slowly control allow it to move forward. Do not simply pull it back and release it, as this will have the same effect as pulling the trigger and will fire a bullet if one is chambered. Again, I stress the point of making sure the weapon is unloaded. If the weapon is already loaded and cocked and you don't feel comfortable doing this, find a friend who is experienced in gun use to help you. It's not worth risking the injury. I hope this helps! Please reply if you need more info, or press accept if this has satisfied your question. Thanks!