Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

Im interested in becoming a legal transcriptionist, but I

I'm interested in becoming a legal transcriptionist, but I don't know where to start. I've heard that online schools such as Penn Foster can help prep me for a transcriptionist career from home, but I'm skeptical. My local community college does not offer courses in transcription, and as I have a job, I would greatly appreciate the flexible schedule online schools offer.

What is the best way for me to go about this? Are there any online schools that are accredited and will actually prepare me for the job? I understand that there are few, if any, financial aids available for online schools, and that doesn't bother me. Right now, I'm focusing on finding a school first.

Any and all information about courses, online schools that offer a transcription program, and the career of legal transcription would be greatly appreciated.
Are you interested in legal transcription (typing dictated reports/letters etc) or court reporting?

Where in California do you live?

Do you have any previous clerical/secretarial skills or training?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Legal transcription.

Folsom, about an hour from Sacramento.

I have no training outside of a high school diploma.
Thank you:

Personally, I am NOT a fan of Penn Foster. As an employer, I would NEVER even consider hiring one of their graduates. I don't believe that they offer a quality education. In fairness, there are people who do manage to get real jobs after graduating from Penn Foster, but based on years of experience, I would not hire their graduates.

You may want to consider starting with one of the adult education programs in your area. These do not offer degrees, but they can get you your foot in the door, and provide excellent low-cost technical education.

Here is one possibility
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Hello, lil mamzelle, and thanks for your question.

Legal transcription is the type of career which is always looking to fill positions, so I think you've chosen a good field of study to pursue.

Through my research, I've found the following schools offer distance learning courses in legal transcription, and you can check out each one to see details re: fees, payment schedules, etc.:

I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX FamilyPhysician, that Penn Foster does not produce worthy graduates. I think this is highly dependent upon the individual student and type of course/career path being studied. If the student is truly interested in earning a degree or certification in a particular subject, and devotes the time necessary to studying and not cutting corners, success should be forthcoming.

Contact the schools above, and ask for a course catalog and/or specific information re: legal transcription and what they offer.

I wish you much good luck and success in your future endeavors.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the information— it's quite helpful.

I understand that most training courses for legal transcription do not result in degrees, but certificates or similar. Are these programs qualified/accredited/etc. to award transcription certificates? Further, when I receive a certificate, will that suffice for an employer, or will I ultimately need a degree in, say, English?
Hello again, and you're most welcome; thanks for your reply.

As all programs differ, please allow me some time to further research this important question for you.

Your patience is appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much— I am extremely grateful for the extra work on your part.

For what it's worth, I am an 18 year old high school graduate. I do have a driver's license, but I do not own my own vehicle, so I cannot travel far.
Hi again, and you're most welcome; thanks so much for your patience.

A school like US Career Institute IS accredited with the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC). The Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a nationally recognized accrediting agency, for distance learning schools, so a certificate earned there, as a legal transcriptionist, will be recognized by prospective employers.

Look at the websites of some other schools I mentioned, and/or call to ask if they are accredited by the same body, so you'll be sure, before you begin a course of study.

It seems that Certification as a legal transcriptionist from an accredited school should be sufficient to secure you a position in that field. You should not need a degree in English, but if you feel your transcribing would be enhanced by taking some courses in English, I'm sure you can do this at your local Community School. You would, naturally, need a good command of the English language, as well as the knowledge of legal terminology for this career, but the latter will definitely be taught within your course of study.

It would be a good idea to call and ask questions of a career advisor/counselor at several of the schools you're considering, before enrolling. Also, many schools offer job placement services after you receive your certification, so inquire about that, too. It would be advantageous to proceed with a school that helps set you up with interviews and works with law firms/companies seeking individuals with this skill.

I wish you the best of luck and I admire your foresight in researching all possibilities before making this important decision!

Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist