Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

I have a large painting of cherubs that has been in the family

I have a large painting of cherubs that has been in the family for many years, I believe it is call Allegory Of The Harvest and has been in glass frame but recently the glass got broke but the painting is 100% condition. Can anyone tell me if it worth any money or not, It has the mark RAC or RCA in a lozenge shape in the right hand botton corner.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.

I've found a painting entitled 'An Allegory of the Harvest' by Willem Van Mieris, here:

http://www.artchive.com/web_gallery/W/Willem-van-Mieris/An-Allegory-of-the-Harvest.html

These don't look like cherubs, but it may just be showing one portion of the painting. As you can see from the link above, there are companies that paint reproductions of original oil paintings, so the one you have may or may not be an original. You can get an idea of price for a reproduction from this site, but you would need to have your painting appraised in person by a professional in your area, to know for sure, it's value, and if it is indeed an original.

If this is not the painting you have, you may have gotten incorrect information regarding it's name.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry but this is nothing like the painting I have. the picture is on my computer but I do not know how to attach it to this page, I can attach it to an email from me but that is all Can I send it on a email to you?
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply.

You can send a picture here, by clicking on the tree icon in the toolbar at the top of this box; it's between the chain symbol and Youtube.

If there is any information on the back of the painting or on the frame, please include that, too. Does the 'RAC' or 'RCA' in the oval shape down in the corner look like the signature of the artist or more like a 'stamp' from a company? Having the name of the artist would be helpful.

Thanks,
Cher
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Actually I was wrong the letters are RSA or RAS and is not a signature but written by hand in initials.graphic I hope the photo is here. thank you, Janet
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hi again, Janet.

Yes, I received the photo through Customer Service and thanks for sending it.

I'll try to find the artist and more about the painting and get back to you as soon as I have some information for you.

Regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Cher, I thank you very much for all your help, as I say it's been in the family for over 50 years, it was given to my uncle, who was a London Chef, as payment for a service he gave who could not afford the moneyand, its been in my Aunts house, my mothers house and now my house, I spoke to my Aunt and she said to sell it as there is no other attic for it ro go into now. So any help you can give me would be wonderful as I do not want any damage done to it. Regards Janet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is the back of the paintinggraphicgraphicand another I hope it helps.
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hi again, Janet.

The graphic you sent of the back of the painting, doesn't show up here. Did you use the 'tree icon' in the toolbar? I've been researching this since I last replied to you and it's very difficult to find any information not having an artist's name. I don't think these are necessarily 'cherubs' because they don't have wings, but I'm continuing to look.

Can you tell me what information is on the back of the painting? Any dates, words, names, etc.?

Thanks,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hi again, Janet.

I'm sorry, but I can't find the painting without an artist. If another expert is familiar with the painting itself, and has seen it before, it's possible they could be of more help to you.

I'm going to 'opt out' of your question and leave it open for other experts to answer.

I hope you can find out the worth of this painting, after knowing the artist and title. Also, from your description, I don't believe it is an original, but a reproduction or a 'print'. There are companies that can reproduce oil paintings exactly (artists actually paint them), so that they appear original. Because there are initials and not a full signature, this may not be an original. Also, originals usually are not framed with glass.

Best of luck!

Cher
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok thank you for what you have done. Janet.
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
You're most welcome, Janet.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. I just wanted to mention that if this is not an original, but a reproduction or print, the value would be less, of course, than an original. It IS a nice painting, though, and perhaps putting it up for auction on eBay or another auction site, or having it appraised by a local art dealer in your area, would get you a better idea of it's worth.

Regards,
Cher