Jesse Handel
Jesse Handel, Scientist
Experience:  B.S. Degree Chem. & Bact. 7 yrs tax preparation.
9660727
Type Your Question Here...

The bolt handle on my Beretta Extrema 12 ga. shotgun will not

Customer Question

The bolt handle on my Beretta Extrema 12 ga. shotgun will not come out so that I can remove the bolt mechanism for cleaning. I have sprayed Rem oil along its shaft. It wiggles, but won't pull out, even with added mechanical advantage. It was difficult to remove last year for cleaning. This year it's worse.

--Dave
Category: General
Expert:  Jesse Handel replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer Thank you for coming to Just Answer and allowing us to help you with your problem. The only advice I can give you if you've tried oiling it and reviewed the directions for removing the bolt mechanism that are listed in your owner's manual to ensure that you aren't missing anything is to contact Beretta. The address for their website is: https://www.berettausa.com/Default.aspx . Their address is: Beretta U.S.A. Corp,17601 Beretta Drive, Accokeek, MD 20607 and their telephone number is: (NNN) NNN-NNNN I would telephone them first and describe your problem. They may be able to tell you how to fix it over the phone. Otherwise, I would make arrangements to ship your gun to them and have them fix it. They should be able to give your a rough quote of the repair price, but it will depend on what they have to do to fix the problem.

Sorry I can't help you more, but sometimes all you can do is go back to the manufacturer. I hope this answers your questions. Please let me know if I can give you more information.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was hoping a gunsmith might reply. A chemist replied. Maybe I got a chemist with gunsmith experience, but I don't really know. I am a chemist myself, so that line of experience wasn't needed. The answer didn't really give me any more information than I already had. Perhaps there just isn't another answer to my question, but the one I received didn't seem worth paying for.

HelloCustomer That is your choice and I don't have any problem if you don't feel my answer is worth paying for. I have hunted for 10 years, repaired all of my own 20 or so guns (I haven't counted lately) which include pistols, rimfire rifles, centerfire rifles, shotguns, and black powder traditional rifles. I load my own ammunition for my rifles. I have asked my other experts and to the best of my knowledge, we don't have a professional gunsmith due to the fact that there aren't yet enough gun questions to set up a specific topic for it. There are so many different types of questions in the general category that we can't list all of the expertise we have in all topics, but the professionals at Just Answer will not answer any question unless they have expertise applicable to the question being asked. That is part of the ethical code we adhere to.

Without actually seeing your gun, there is very little information a professional gunsmith can give you. Maybe you haven't fully cleaned the bolt, maybe the bolt has been damaged slightly, or maybe there is another problem. If you have followed all of the information in the owner's manual, then the manufacturer has the best chance to be able to give you a correct diagnosis and solution to the problem over the telephone. Otherwise, you need to take your gun to your local gunsmith and pay them to work on it. They may be able to fix it or they may also tell you to send it back to the factory.

Good luck. Sorry I couldn't help you.

Jesse Handel, Scientist
Experience: B.S. Degree Chem. & Bact. 7 yrs tax preparation.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Jesse,

Fixed the Beretta. The bolt handle is keyed and the extractor must be pushed inward about halfway to line up the channel. It still required leverage from a crate opener to remove it. Once out I filed it slightly so that it can now be removed by finger pressure. This is the first shotgun I have encountered in 30 years of hunting where the bolt handle didn't just pull straight out. The manual may have covered this, wherever it is at the moment. Anyway, now you can answer the question if some other "fool" asks it. Thanks.

HiCustomer Thanks for letting me know how you fixed it. I'll make sure to pass that information onto anyone else who needs it. You should be a new user manual for your shotgun. You can request one by either:

"You can also obtain an owner's manual by calling 1-800-BERETTA, wait for the prompt for "Firearms Instruction Manual" and then select Option 3 and then wait for the prompt "For Manuals, please press 1" and select Option 1." quoted from the Beretta website or

go to this web address and look up the manual you need:
http://www.berettaservices.com/index.aspx?m=53&did=652

You may have to cut and paste the web address in your browser. If there's a problem with this address, go to beretta.com, then customer service at the very bottom of the web page, they will direct you to beretta international's website to get all of the manuals. That's where this web address will take you.

Thanks. It's been a pleasure working with you.