Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

My Husband and I need to take my third grade daughter with

My Husband and I need to take my third grade daughter with us out of the country for 6 weeks for our business. what are the laws for academics (Nevada Public school)? How do I keep her from falling behind? What are my options?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer and thanks for your question.

Usually, there are provisions for these types of situations, and what you'll need to do, is speak first to your daughter's guidance counselor or Principal of the school, let them know your plans, and they will inform you of your next step. The school district should have in place, a modified 'homeschooling' program, where you can get the materials for the work her teacher(s) will cover over the period of time she will be out of class, and you can make sure she learns the material, is tested on it, and is up to date (to the best of your ability) when she returns. Anything she misses over those 6 weeks that you can't help her learn on your own, will need to be made up when you come back; typically, teachers will have before and/or after school time to help administer tutoring sessions and/or make up tests, etc. for students who have missed a significant amount of school due to illness or a family situation, as you describe.

If there is any way you might be able to have your daughter stay with a family member or friend, and continue to attend school, that would be a good alternative, if possible.

I hope everything will work out well and wish you safe travel.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.