Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Teacher
Experience:  I am a good researcher
Type Your Question Here...

I ruined my 1st attempt at college. I majored in architecture

I ruined my 1st attempt at college. I majored in architecture and never finished my degree (4 courses short of finishing). The problem is that my GPA is so low that even if I where to return I would never be able to go on to graduate school. In addition I no longer want to become an architect. I've been working in construction management for past 10 years and now I am seriously considering going back to school and doing a history or political science degree. I would like to start all over again. Law school would be ideal too. I had a ton of family problems while attending University the first time around & truth be told I had no reason staying. I ruined my academic life. I should have withdrawn early and taken time off. Has enough time passed where my credits are no longer valid, can I start fresh or am I doomed? I keep reading different explanations everywhere.
Category: General
Expert:  Teacher Editor replied 6 years ago.

I don't think you are doomed. You should finish your initial degree. You are so close and getting into graduate is not an impossibility (if you have an undergraduate degree, doesn't really matter what it is in). For law school or anything like that, you need an undergraduate degree. If your GPA wasn't very high, you can explain that since you seem to have more life experience than most people who apply to graduate school. Many times, schools will make exceptions for individuals who may have taken the wrong path in life but have now realized what the right one would be and want to start over.

Thus, you need to finish your degree and really figure out what you want to do. Then, apply to the proper graduate school and make the proper explanations, and I think your life will work out even better than you initially planned for.