The Geezer
The Geezer, Successful careers
Experience:  Retired Civil Engineer, USC Professor & Realtor, financier
Type Your Question Here...

YIKES!!! Im not sure there is anyone on your team that can

YIKES!!! I'm not sure there is anyone on your team that can help me, but I'll explain my dilemma "just in case". There is a MAJOR field mouse problem in our house. We have set out blocks of poison (warfarin), put sticky pads along the walls, and have even baited regular mouse traps with peanut butter. And despite catching SOME, there are still mice running around that avoid the poison and every trap we've set. (They even have the audacity to leave their little "mouse poop" next to the poison and traps!) Is there anything else we can do? I vacuum the floors and clean all flat surfaces (counters, tile floors, etc.) with clorox wipes every evening when I return from work; and I have started changing the paper in our parrots cages every evening, also. We also have a dog (very clean) so we cannot use any of the room/house "fog" sprays or poisons. Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanx!!
Category: General
Expert:  The Geezer replied 6 years ago.
What you need are a few "Havahart" cage-type mouse traps.

They work, I have used them.

A small tilting plate inside the cage drops the door on a mouse when he comes inside to get the bait. Peanuts, banana slices, leftover pizza, anything can be used as bait.

When you get one in the trap, drown it. Just immerse the trap in a tub of water.

Repeat until you have caught them all.

For field mice use the smallest size, so they can't squeeze through the cage mesh.

No poison, no fogs, no mess.

Worked for me.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm concerned that if I go out and purchase some of the "Havahart" traps, the mice won't even get into them. They seem to not step a foot on the baited traps -- either the regular snap traps or the sticky pads. We've put all kinds of food on them -- peanut butter, birdseed, pieces of fruit, etc. So why should I think that the traps you're recommending will work. Have you tried the sticky pads and snap traps before?
Indeed I have tried them.

Sticky traps didn't work for me Don't think they were sticky enough.

Snap traps miss the small field mice that are foolish enough to try for the bait.

Give your mice a broader buffet selection... several different foods... see which food(s) they will take.

Rind from a well-done steak worked once for me.

Unsalted peanuts usually work for me.

Peanut butter only worked for the larger rats, not the mice. Who knows why?

Good luck!