Lucy
Lucy, Mensa Member
Experience:  Expert Internet Researcher and Trivia Master
26798026
Type Your Question Here...

I mistakely wash my clothings in the washer and dryer after

I mistakely wash my clothings in the washer and dryer after they were contaminated with fumes mixed with chlorine and ammonia. Now it seems everything that is washed in it or touches my body burns I have clothings with fumes that I can not wear now it terrible. Please, how can I get rid of this fume?
Category: General
Expert:  Lucy replied 6 years ago.
Hi Dalof,

I know that washing your clothes with a cup of white vinegar helps get rid of cat urine fumes, which are very similar. You could also try an enzymatic cleaner, which will actually eat the odor-causing bacteria.

You should be able to keep using your washer/dryer if you take some rags, put in a vinegar/water solution, wring out, and then wipe the inside of each machine. You'll want to go over each a few times, using a new, clean rag each time. Then, leave the lids open and let them air out overnight.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I actually think both ammonia/bleach mix that started the toxic fumes are water solidify that I can continue to use large amount to rinse...i properly over reacted use bleach to rinse and wash clothes thereafter....this keep going increase the fumes.

But I will consider your take... my wife suggested that process awhile back so we will do a series of water rinse without adding any cleaning agent...only after that result then will try. Thank you!