Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Experience:  B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.
Type Your Question Here...

I received notice from Hewlitt Packard England that I won $750,000.

I received notice from Hewlitt Packard England that I won $750,000. I suspect this is a scam, am I right??
Category: General
Expert:  Tyler replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question. This is a common example of a "phishing" scam. A criminal, acting like he works for a well-known company, will send out thousands of these such emails or letters in order to elicit a response from a few people who will return them. Sometimes they are looking to get personal information from unsuspecting people. They use this information to steal your identity or get information from your computer (if done in email form). Information about this specific scam can be found on the HP website at the link here:

As with all emails of this type, please do not reply to it or click any of the buttons in it. You should also run a virus scan of your computer immediately. You were wise to contact somebody about this issue, as many have fallen victim to it in the past. Good luck and best wishes!

Please click "Accept" if I have been able to answer your question! Positive feedback is really appreciated. Please click "Reply" if you need further assistance so I may continue to help you.