John Henderson
John Henderson, Consultant
Experience:  I own a research business that provides latest data on a variety of topics.
154910
Type Your Question Here...

I have a very old J hayllar framed painting or portrait. It

I have a very old J hayllar framed painting or portrait. It has a boy and girl sitting with i believe a bowl of chestnuts on her lap and a string of the nuts around her neck. My family paid 250.00 for it 25 yrs ago. how much is it worth?
Category: General
Expert:  John Henderson replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer..

Is this the painting you are talking about?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b305/Melanie2711/J%20Hayllar%20painting/016.jpg

XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yep! Thats exactly it. am i rich?

Whoa! little lady, back up the Brinks Truck...The first thing you need to do is find a certified art appraiser and determine if it is an original or a copy. Is it a flat piece of board ocan you actually feel the brush strokes? What city/state are you in? Answer these questions and if you think it could be an original, I want 50% hahaha! Really thou, I will try to find an appraiser near you and you cantake it from there,

Good luck and get back to me as soon as you can...

XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm from Yakima, Washington
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

From the looks of it, it appears to be a print not a painting. The signature is on the bottom right. It is in the original frame enclosed with glass. Will it affect the value, large or small, if we open up the back of it and feel for brush strokes or see if there are any writtings on the back side? I appreciate your help. My husband seems to think the frame it is in is identicle with the very expensive J hayllar portraits we seen throughout our search for knowlege of this picture. The frame has a little damage:( not too bad. I still hung it on my wall for years! Everybody has adored it, it gives off a warm fuzzy feeling!

I'd leave it alone unless you can remove it from the frame without disturbing it. Give me a few days to find what I can. Can you take a picture of it and attach it here?

XXXXX XXXXX

John Henderson

I have found a site that, unfortunately is a Subscription site - http://www.askart.com/askart/alpha/H9.aspx - it appears to be - as the name implies - an art bluebook site. I have asked for access for research purposes, but If you do not want to wait, you can access for $13 -14 for a 24 hr period. It may or may not yield favorable results. This is the home page - http://www.askart.com/AskART/index.aspx.

I am still looking for Fine Art appraisers in your area, so please be patient...

XXXXX XXXXX