Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Experience:  B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.
Type Your Question Here...

What is the difference between white and yellow gold

What is the difference between white and yellow gold?
Category: General
Expert:  Tyler replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question! The main difference between the two golds is the metal alloys used to mix with the pure gold. White gold is made by mixing gold with silver and palladium. Nickel is also sometimes added to this mix, however it is used less frequently now due to allergic reactions with some individuals. Karat weight is measured the same with white gold as it is with yellow gold. Some in the jewelry industry use rhodium plating on white gold to give it a more visually pleasing experience, closer to what one would expect of white gold. This is not actually the color of the gold. White gold actually covers a wide variety of gold colors and hues.

The metal content of yellow gold is a mix of pure gold, zinc and copper. Just as with white gold, the amount of each metal determines the color as well as karat weight. Allergies or reactions to yellow gold happen only rarely, as zinc and copper are not common allergens. Both yellow and white gold can be used for many different kinds of applications and are mixed with the above metals for those specific uses. Metals can be added that increase strength and durability or other metals can be added that increase pliability and are better for gemstone settings. I hope this is the information you are looking for. If so, please click "Accept" so I can receive compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated and will be reciprocated! If you have further questions or need clarification, please click "Reply" so I can continue assisting you until your question is resolved. Thanks again, and best wishes!