Lucy, Mensa Member
Experience:  Expert Internet Researcher and Trivia Master
Type Your Question Here...

I have an old oil painting by Van Leer and am having trouble

I have an old oil painting by Van Leer and am having trouble finding information about the artist. It was sold by John Mathieson & Co Edinburgh many years ago. Please can you help me find some information on the artist and would you have any idea what the painting could be worth. The size of the painting is 31" x 24". Kind regards. Em

Thank you for using Just Answer. Are you able to take a picture of the painting and upload it for us? That should help us locate more information for you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have uploaded a couple of pics for you and I hope they help.

Kind regards

I have looked everywhere I can think of and, unfortunately, I am also not able to discover any information on this painting or the artist. I also checked to see if there was an artist named Jan Leer, as the V looks like it could potentially be a J. I also learned that John Mathieson & Co. is no longer in business. In light of this information, and because the value of a painting can vary dramatically based upon its quality and other factors, I would recommend that you take the painting to a licensed art appraiser near you.

Good luck,