Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

why is american express trying to tell me that my credit score

why is american express trying to tell me that my credit score provided to me by Experian through a service of American Express is not correct. They are saying that my credit score is much lower based on the credit score they have of me from Experian. Is it possible that they are making a mistake? I checked my credit score with Experian independently and it matches that which i got from the service provided by American Express yet the people on the phone from American Express are insisting that i have a lower credit to justify lowering my line of credit from around 24,000.00 to 2,400.00? Do you think they are just wrong and made a mistake or are they liars or what are they doing i am ready to just leave them because they seem to not be able to tell me anything.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.

In these difficult times, many credit card companies are doing this. They run checks through credit reporting agencies like Experian, and from the information they get, they are either lowering credit limits and/or inceasing APR's.

As I understand it, you stated that when you independently checked your credit score through Experian, it did match the credit score American Express provided you through their service, so the scores should be the same. If someone at American Express is telling you that they have a much lower credit score for you in their records, ask who it was provided by and ask for this information in writing. If you received a letter from American Express notifying you of the credit line decrease, based upon this credit score, they always include the name of the reporting agency (Experian?) and also state that within 60 days you have a right to order your credit report free of charge from that reporting agency.

You can call American Express again, ask for the department that handles credit line increases/decreases, and ask to speak to a Supervisor and get all the information possible, regarding your case. Ask why the two credit scores don't match, if the one you got from Experian is higher. Your experience is not unique and usually the customer service representative you speak to only knows what they read on the computer screen in front of them, and that's why you're getting conflicting answers.

It's been my experience that American Express is one of the worst companies to deal with on these issues and one of the first to come after you if you don't pay your bill on time, so your initial feeling that maybe you should just leave them, and not give them your business anymore, may be a good one.

I wish you much good luck!

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you have additional questions, need more information and/or clarification, please click 'Reply'. Thanks.

Cher

Edited by Cher on 1/14/2010 at 7:36 PM EST
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the credit score that American Express uses is the Experian number. The guy just argud over and over that the numbers where different. This was the Delta Gold Sky Miles Account and I just cancelled it after i had the phone discussion. I have another account and have asked them why the numbers are different . By the way i pay extra for the Experian service through American Express so they can not say they made a mistake i guess the Egos have won the game and that is when companies begin to crumble.
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your accept and your reply.

You are so right re: when companies begin to crumble. I'm glad you cancelled your account after they wouldn't/couldn't give you a straight answer and only argued with you.

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THANK FO RTHE INFO
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
You're so very welcome! It was my pleasure to be of help.

Cher (please do not click 'accept' an additional time, as the system will prompt)