Lucy
Lucy, Mensa Member
Experience:  Expert Internet Researcher and Trivia Master
26798026
Type Your Question Here...

do health insurance companies require a physical my rates

do health insurance companies require a physical? my rates have increased 30% every year for the last 5 years and i have not used the health insurance and havent had to see a doctor in the last 20 years so i am looking to change companies . current insurance co. says the reason my rate is so high is because of increasing medical costs and my body mass index
Category: General
Expert:  Lucy replied 7 years ago.
It will probably depend on many factors, including your age, medical history, whether you smoke, etc. I have changed heath insurance companies many times without a physical, but every company' s different. It may also depend on the laws in your state.

The best thing to do is probably call a couple of companies for quotes and see what they say.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

im 45 year old male dont smoke but do use smokeless tobbaco never had any surgeries and havent been to a doctor for any thing for 20 plus years. they are charging me 650.99 per month on an individual policy. do you feel this is outrageous like i do or are all the rates going to be about the same with other insurance companies

Expert:  Lucy replied 7 years ago.
Insurance rates vary by state, but that does seem high to me. It could be, like you said, based on your weight and the tobacco usage.

I think this site might be able to give you some more information.
http://www.healthinsurance.org/