Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
14666028
Type Your Question Here...

How much money would a copy of Mein Kampf bring, addressed

How much money would a copy of Mein Kampf bring, addressed to Hitler on the flyleaf together with an inscription that interpreted says that when the earth shakes we do not shiver, we do not quit(taken as a souvenir from Hitler's home after it was bombed)? How would i go about selling it?

i
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer welcome to Just Answer.

The usual for old book apply, good condition and first edition increase the value a lot (an example you can monitor is at this link) .

Then there is the history behind the book. If you can somewhat get proof (signature about the story from a witness, or enough paper that can make that plausible), it would help a lot to increase the price. Being a copy that was at his main house sure is it's big point, but the note in it may be even more valuable (a Nazi expert would be needed to figure to what this refer, it may be a party friend, a Thule member, a General...)

From that link you can get an idea of how high those can reach, the name of the expert that authenticated it and the auction house. You sure will get better value for it by selling it in the UK.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you Martin. I looked at the first edition on the link you sent to me. The book we want to sell was reprinted I think. The cover is black. The book belongs to my 86 year old neighbor who has fallen on hard times. I think the book or the inscription was dated 1937. I guess the next step would be to get it authenticated. Do you know how to have the note inside evaluated?
Expert:  Martin replied 7 years ago.
The Best thing to do would be to contact an auctioneers and send them a scan or digital picture of the book for the condition, but especially the note in it (i would also check if it have some annotation hidden in it). The article mention http://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/ so i would try that one as they at least have expertise in this.

Depending on what they will say about it, they will require to see the book or at least have a Notary signature that the document really exist and is in your hand so that it eventually star the auction process.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you Martin, you have been a great help.