Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

I went on line to get birth certificate from New York city

I went on line to get birth certificate from New York city Dept. of Vital Records, and was lead to " Birth Records Online".
Paid $39.90. Received a receipt from ClickBank Customer Service Order #ECG696BN.
Product:Instant records check for WALTER BRADY and 1 year unlimited search Pass
Product ID: 8
Vendor's site: iam now concerned.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.

Have you received any communication about your search and/or received a copy of your birth certificate? If not, and that's why you're concerned, request a refund from the site and put a stop on your payment, if possible. If you paid with a credit card, call your card company and put the charge into 'dispute', telling them you didn't receive the product you paid for or you changed your mind.

You most likely mistakenly clicked on a 'sponsored site' on the page where you were looking for NYC vital records, and thought you were contacting the government directly. From your description, it sounds like this was a site that offers background and record checks for individuals, for a fee.

While there IS a charge for a duplicate birth certificate ($15 + $8.30 mailing and service charge), you need to go to the NYC Dept. of Vital Statistics directly, to order a copy of a birth certificate. You can find more information, here:

I hope you are able to get a refund from that other site and successfuly order your birth certificate from the proper NYC agency.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you have additional questions, need more information and/or clarification, please click 'Reply'. Thanks.

Best wishes,