Lori
Lori, Research Analyst
Experience:  General Information and Online Research
260309
Type Your Question Here...

my seth thomas clock chimes are off. how can i get them to

my seth thomas clock chimes are off. how can i get them to chime the correct number of times?
Category: General
Expert:  Lori replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell me if the clock strikes the same 'wrong' number of times each time - for example, if it is 3 o'clock, the clock will chime say 2 times, or 4 times.....if it's 5 o'clock, the clock will chime 4 times or 6 times.....or is it just randomly chiming incorrectly?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes it strikes the same wrong number of times each time

Expert:  Lori replied 4 years ago.

You may want to consult a repair person; however, fixing it isn't extremely difficult. Bascially, you need to change the hour hand position to match the number of times the clock strikes. You don't want to take a chance on damaging the movement if this is a quartz movement, as the hour hand can't be easily moved without risking damage.

Wait until the clock strikes the hour and count the number of strikes. Take out the battery. The hand nut is what holds the actual hands on your clock. You will need to unscrew it, and pull the minute hand straight off. Then pull the hour hand straight off. It's important that you don't turn the hands when you do this. Put the hour hand back on pointing to the hour number that matches the number of hours that the clock just struck, again, insuring you push it straight on and don't turn it. Finally, replace the minute hand pointing to the "12", and replace the hand nut. The clock's time will now be in synch with the strike. This is the safest way to fix the problem and again, is easy to do.

If your clock is not battery operated, stop the pendulum prior to removing the hands.

Please let me know if I can help further in any way.

Edited by Lori on 1/6/2010 at 5:49 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My clock is very old, an eight day wind. I cannot see a hand nut in the back.
Expert:  Lori replied 4 years ago.
The hand nut wouldn't be in the back. It's on the front, holding the hands in place. It screws on over the hands.

Edited by Lori on 1/6/2010 at 7:20 PM EST
Lori, Research Analyst
Experience: General Information and Online Research