P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  45 years old, retired Marine Officer, current attorney
Type Your Question Here...

How do I design a protective device with just 500 toothpicks

How do I design a protective device with just 500 toothpicks and white glue for an egg so a 6 pound ball dropped from a height of three feet will protect the egg
Category: General
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago.
Lots of air/space. Make the device "tall" to get this space. I would also use an angle to deflect the trajectory of the ball as it drops. Gravity will "pull" the ball straight down. If you angle the device (made of toothpicks) to "nudge" the dropping ball to the side, so it misses the egg, then you can likely succeed...heck, 500 is a LOT of toothpicks

Enjoy, sounds fun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am only able to use white glue (not even wood glue). Can you give me a more graphic example -- shape wise of what this "cage" should look like. the ball (6 pounds) is to be drop on top of the "cage" from a height of 3 feet. The concept is much like a bicycle helmet -- break the "cage" or helmet but don't smash the egg. Sorry I can't quite get what this should look like.
Picture a tall, thin A (and A frame is a strong design), but with one side of the A perpendicular (right angle) to the floor. SO the other side of this tall skinny A angles to the floor. The idea is to deflect the ball to the side (down the slope) to miss the egg