Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

Can I pan sear a beef tenderloin and then refrigerate for a

Can I pan sear a beef tenderloin and then refrigerate for a few hours. Then later bring it out, come to room temperature and then roast? I'm trying to eliminate some of the prep work while guests are present.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for your question.

I would not recommend doing what you propose, as you will risk health safety problems. If you sear the beef then refrigerate, then allow to come to room temp. and roast, bacteria will have a chance to grow in the uncooked meat (interior, not seared), and is not safe.

If you want to save prep time while your guests are present, it might be better to pan sear/roast the meat to rare, before they arrive, refrigerate it wrapped in aluminum foil about 20 minutes after taking out of oven, then, slice and rewarm with gravy (if desired, and to keep moist), covered, in a warm oven (about 300 degrees) until warmed through/hot, about 15-20 minutes to serve.

If you would rather it be really fresh by roasting and serving it immediately, you would have no other option but to sear it, then roast, while your guests are there.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you have additional questions, need more information and/or clarification, please click 'Reply'. Thanks.