Tyler
Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Experience:  B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.
Type Your Question Here...

how do you destroy narcorics

Customer Question

how do you destroy narcorics?
Category: General
Expert:  John Henderson replied 4 years ago.

There are a few questions that come to mind before I can attempt to help with this.

1. Are you talking about illegal narcotics? or, 2. A prescription you no longer want and need to dispose of.

If your answer is # XXXXX I can only advise to contact law enforcement and ask them to come and get it. I have no idea what to do other than that. If #2 is the circumstance, again, call the sheriff and explain thet you need to turn in an unused prescription and need them to either advise you or send someone out to pick up the drugs.

Whatever you do, DO NOT FLUSH THEM or THROW THEM IN THE TRASH!!!

A similar situation happened when my mom died and had narc pain meds left over.

Hope this helps...

XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi John;

I can see where my question was too vague. My situation is the same as #2. Morphine tablets. Could I render them unusable and environmentally neutral by adding the correct amount of, say, NaOh since the chemical name is XXXXX XXXXX HCl?

Expert:  Tyler replied 4 years ago.

It is a very common situation for folks to have left over, expired or unusable prescription medications. The American Pharmacists Association as well as the US Fish and Wildlife Association recommend some basic steps for people to take when disposing of these prescriptions:

Crush solid medications or dissolve them in water (this applies for liquid medications as well) and mix with kitty litter or sawdust (or any material that absorbs the dissolved medication and makes it less appealing for pets or children to eat), then place in a sealed plastic bag BEFORE tossing in the trash.
Remove and destroy ALL identifying personal information (prescription label) from the medication container.
Check for approved state and local collection programs or with area hazardous waste facilities. In certain states, you may be able to take your unused medications to your community pharmacy.

As morphine is a drug that can easily be abused, you might want to call your pharmacist to see if he/she recommends returning them to the pharmacy or flushing them. The above associations do recommend flushing some prescriptions that can be abused, however, it would probably be a safe bet to assume that dissolving the tablets and mixing them with a neutral media would make them impossible to abuse. If all else fails, call your pharmacist--they deal with this situation all the time and I'm sure appreciate people like you who go about disposal the proper way. Additionally, more information can be found at the following website:

http://www.fws.gov/news/newsreleases/showNews.cfm?newsId=708A991D-F915-7BD0-085DE68425ABF68B

I hope this information is helpful! Best regards!
Experience: B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, I accept.

Acknowledged, my inquiry was vague, but I found all of your information in my own investigation. Frankly your answer was almost word for word from the DEA ops manual, although I don't think you actually looked there - it's really common sense.

What I was looking for was a more learned response based on the chemistry, not your forte and somewhat mine, although I am not a chemical engineer.

I'm in the primary pursuit of a business idea.

So, I'm throwing out some feelers. We all know most of those won't work, but hopefully give a spark to try another lead.

I see this is a dead end, but you did answer my vague question. BTW, most states pharmacies cannot accept "old" drugs, many police departments do and burn them with their scheduled confiscated drug burns.

I happened to be with the Honduran Navy when they burned 1500 pounds of coke = it was impresive and incredibly toxic.

Thank you for your efforts.

DR

Expert:  Tyler replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the accept, yes my answer was fairly straightforward and meant to cover the normal run-of-the-mill situation of a person disposing of narcotics, which I figured was probably the situation here. That is an interesting idea to hear of a possible business idea in the way you mention, it's certainly different and might catch on. When I was a cop we didn't do our own destruction in house, everything went to the state and was destroyed at that level, so I never got to stand next to the kind of fire you mention--not sure I'd want to either! Anyway, best of luck to you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks for the response, I think we could be friends "collaborators". good luck.

D