Lucy
Lucy, Mensa Member
Experience:  Expert Internet Researcher and Trivia Master
26798026
Type Your Question Here...

i keep getting charged on my visa for things i did not order

i keep getting charged on my visa for things i did not order and when i return them they refuse to return my money-what can i do
Category: General
Expert:  Lucy replied 6 years ago.
Hi Lindy,

You are protected from unauthorized transactions on your Visa Debit or Credit card. However, the protections are slightly different for each. If you a using a Debit Card, Federal Reguation D requires the bank to investigate as soon as you notify them of the problem, without first referring you back to the merchant. They will contact the merchant on your behalf and attempt to resolve the situation.

If your Visa is credit only, generally, the merchant has a specificied amount of time (which could be up to ten business days) to recredit a credit card for a transaction. If you used a credit card, and it has been less than ten days, the credit card company may ask you to wait prior to filing a claim.

If you are unsatisified with your purchase, and the merchant is refusing to allow you to return or exchange it, in violation of their return policy, you can also report it to your credit card company.

If you have any reason to believe that these merchants may attempt to use your card in the future, I strongly recommend that you immediately contact your bank, close the card, and ask them to issue you a new one. If you did not give these merchants your card number, again, contact your bank immediately to cancel the card. If you have a joint account, verify which card was used, then consult with the other card holder to ensure that the correct card is cancelled. However, if the merchant merely made a mistake, this step is not necessary. The telephone number for your bank should be printed on the back of the card. Otherwise, you will be able to locate it on your bank's website.

I hope that helps,

Lucy

Edited by Lucy on 12/31/2009 at 8:18 PM EST