Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Experience:  B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.
Type Your Question Here...

I am a single woman in her late 20s (will be turning 30).

I am a single woman in her late 20's (will be turning 30). I still live with my parents. I have a good professional job and have been trying to purchase a home. However, I may have to spend more than what I am comfortable with. My other option is to rent an apartment which I would be able to afford. However, my mother disagrees and thinks it will be a waste of money. Am I wrong to want to venture out on my own and begin a new phase in my life?
Category: General
Expert:  Tyler replied 6 years ago.

That is an interesting question you have. Of course, any answer would be based on opinion, but I would be happy to share my "two cents". I think this is one of those things that might be best accomplished by a list of pros and cons as well as some deep, personal reflection and consultation with those who are looking out for your best interests. That said, there is nothing wrong with renting or owning. There are obvious perks to both. Most people do want to own a home at some point in their life rather than be renters forever, but some people don't do it at the right time. Benefits of renting including lower cost, some included utilities and free maintenance. But your rent payments don't build towards ownership as they do with a house. So is renting a "waste of money" as your mother says? Well yes and no. You won't ever own the apartment, but you will have saved money for a few years that could be applied to a down payment on a house one day. On the other hand, a home is a terrific long-term investment. I think what you said that rang true with me the most was that you may have to "spend more than you are comfortable with". It sounds like you have a good job and are well established, but if you don't personally feel right about getting locked into such a large investment at this point in your life, then you might want to listen to your gut instinct. With the current economic and housing crisis it really is a buyers market, and there are a number of tax incentives available for first-time home buyers that could lessen the burden. All in all, you know your own situation better than anybody, especially your financial situation. Make sure if you do buy a home that you are set up well enough financially to keep that home should you suffer a loss of income. Perhaps you could satisfy your mom and yourself and come up with a plan where you rent for a few years and save up a hefty down payment for a house a little bit later. In closing--no, you aren't wron to want to start a new phase in life--just make sure you examine that phase closely from all angles and put YOU in the best position you can be in. I hope this gives you a few things to think about. Best wishes in your decision!