Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Experience:  B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.
Type Your Question Here...

Do active military service members have to change their vehicle

Do active military service members have to change their vehicle plates and drivers license when they are stationed in another state.
Category: General
Expert:  Tyler replied 6 years ago.

Different states have different requirements for these sort of issues. Most states do require a vehicle registration and valid license for an individual if they will reside in the state for at least a certain amount of time. If you tell me what state you are being stationed in, I'd be glad to look into it for you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The State is Oregon.

Expert:  Tyler replied 6 years ago.
In looking through the laws for the state of Oregon, it says that so long as your drivers license is valid in the state you come from, you do not need to get one in that state to legally operate a vehicle there. (This is a similar idea to how states deal with out of state college students, as they rarely get a new license or vehicle registration in the state they attend in)
As for your vehicle registration, I find no military exemption except for reservists and national guard members who are permanent residents of Oregon, meaning you would have to register your vehicle in that state. At the same time, the state that you ARE currently a permanent resident of most likely has a program (similar to Oregon and other states) where if you are in the military and are stationed elsewhere, you can maintain your registration in your home state (online or by mail) and it will be valid in any other state.
I know all that sounds kind of confusing, so I'll close with this: I used to be a police officer and I made a lot of traffic stops. I never cited a driver for having a license or registration from another state as long as it was valid and current. I can't think of a cop or a court that wouldn't understand your situation. Please let me know if I can clarify any of this or provide further information. Best wishes!