Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

I lost my combination to my Montgomery Wards Safe style 9042

I lost my combination to my Montgomery Wards Safe style 9042 serial number 78XXXXXto get the combination
Thanks Ken
Hi Ken,

Unfortunately, Montgomery Wards didn't keep any records of safe combinations, and they are out of business. Many of the safes they sold were imported, and the companies they imported from are no longer in business, either.

However, if your safe is a 'Meilink' safe, made for Montgomery Wards, then you might be in luck. Meilink is now part of Fire King, and you can try contacting them at the address and/or phone numbers here:

Fire King International, Inc.

Department 8065

Carol Stream IL 60122

Main Phone: 1-800-457-2424

Fax 1-800-227-7513

To speak with a factory Technical Support technician or to request product repair call 1.800.452.4655. Phones are staffed 6 am - 8 pm Mon-Fri, 9 am - 6 pm Sat, 9 am - 3 pm Sun and holidays. All times are Eastern time zone.

If yours is not a 'Meilink' safe, the cost for a locksmith to drill open & repair your safe might be around $350-$500, depending on where you take it. This is probably more than the safe is worth, so you'll have to weigh your options. You can also check your yellow pages under Safes & Vaults for a company near you, to get an estimate for opening it.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so, please click 'Accept'.
If you need more information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks.