Lori
Lori, Research Analyst
Experience:  General Information and Online Research
260309
Type Your Question Here...

I want to identify a picture, but cant upload it, can you

I want to identify a picture, but can't upload it, can you help?
Category: General
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.
Do you have a web link I can go to to view the picture or where is the picture located?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's saved off Microsoft Encarta onto my PC! It's on a word document, can I upload this?

Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.
Yes... you should be able to go to the tool bar and click on the picture of the tree (next to the smiley face). That will let you upload in your response.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It won't let me upload a word document it keeps asking for a JPEG or TIF or other stuff. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks

Steve

Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.
Steve, let me check with the admins to see if they can assist.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hello

I have sent a word doc to Donna, but am also attaching a JPEG here too! : )

Regards

Stevegraphic
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.

Steve-

Are you attempting to identify the location of the picture or what exactly do you need to know?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sorry for the ambiguity, I did ask on the original question but it doesn't seem to be at the top now! What I want to know is whereabouts in the Talkimakan Desert area this is. It is a beautiful and evocative picture and I just want to know where it was taken! I have even tried to contact the photographer but have been as yet unable.

Thanks

Steve Davies
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.

Hi Steve---I found an arial view of the desert, and it would appear that if this image is, in fact, real, and hasn't had any photochopping working done, it would have HAD to have been take in the southwestern portion of the desert. There is only one visible river running through the desert region and very little vegetation at all. I'm also attaching a link to the photo so you view also. If you click on the picture and move closer, you will see that the one 'river' that is VERY apparent, is actually a dry river bed....if you scroll thru and view closely at the closer shot, you will see a small area of water in the lower left hand portion in the mountain range that would be the only possible place for this to have been shot...but even there, the desert is not encroached on the area, so a true idea of if this picture is fact or fiction is up in the air.

I have a tendency to think the photo you have may have been altered prior to printing as there does not appear to be any area on the NASA photo as lush with trees as the photo you have-except in the one mountainous region I indicated...again, the southwestern portion of the desert in the mountains would be my best educated guess in this instance.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=1925

Let me know if I can help further.